Surface Design with Melanie Robertson
Levels 102, 201, 202
This class is designed for the seasoned beginner to intermediate hand builder or wheel thrower. Alternate surface design techniques are really fun to explore and can have dramatic effects on your work.
Materials and Supplies Provided
The Village Potters will provide the following:
- Mason stains
- 25 lb bag of Laguna mid-range stoneware cone 5/6*
*Students will choose one:
- Miller 65 (white)
- Bmix w/grog (cream)
- Miller 90 (red)
- needle tool
- Small and large brushes, etc.
The class includes 16 Open Studio hours and additional studio time may be purchased for $10/hour for enrolled students.
Please CLICK HERE to read our current Teaching Center Policies & Procedures. Registration for class signifies agreement and compliance with these policies.
Skill Level 102/201/202
View our full SKILL LEVEL GUIDE FOR CLASSES.
TYPE OF STUDENT:
This class is designed for students growing in confidence working with larger and/or more complex forms who wish to become more intentional with their work
EXISTING SKILLS SET RECOMMENDED FOR STUDENTS:
In order to be successful in this class, it is recommended that students are comfortable making either wheel-thrown or handbuilt forms with 1-3 lbs of clay. Students should also be familiar with the basics of glaze application and in a position to begin layering and/or adding more complex application techniques.
Other Important Facility Information:
- Our facility is wheelchair accessible via a ramp entrance at the Gallery.
- During daytime classes, please park across the parking lot and not directly in front of the building.
- Enter the teaching center through the double gray doors to the left of our gallery entrance.
- Report any problems or concerns immediately to your instructor or to a member of The Village Potters.
- Public Bathrooms are to be used and located down the hall from the classroom. Follow signs.
- No cell phone use in class unless you are taking pictures of pots.
- Only students enrolled in classes may sign up for the open studio time.
- Ask before you use use a piece of equipment that you aren’t familiar with.
- No smoking in or outside of The Village Potters.
- Because of space and liability issues, guests are not allowed in the Teaching Center during classes or Open Studio.
- Open Studio access must be signed up for in advance using the online calendar link via Calendly. Your instructor will share that sign up link with you.
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the start of class, students receive a full refund (minus a $50 administrative fee).
- Cancellation within 29-0 days of the start of class, students receive no refund.