This 6-week session will be dedicated to Raku, Horsehair Raku, and Obvara; and is designed for intermediate skill levels due to the thermal shock involved in Raku firing. Raku pieces are glazed and taken out of the kiln hot and placed into a reduction chamber with combustibles. Horsehair pots are taken out of the kiln hot, and draped with hair from a horses tail, and sometimes… feathers! Obvara pots are taken out hot, and dipped into a special obvara brew to scald the surface of the pot.
The first 4 classes are 2.5 hours long and will be dedicated to making pots designed for raku firing, and last 2 classes will be 4 hours long firing workshop days. If you’ve been making pots for a while, and don’t have the opportunity fire like this, come join us! Wheel throwers and hanbuilders are welcome.
REQUIREMENT TO REGISTER: This class is for seasoned beginners to intermediate potters that can execute pieces that are able to withstand thermal shock. This means they must be well balanced, well constructed, and have even walls/thickness. If you aren’t sure you meet this criteria just give us a call at (828) 253-2424 to discuss.
The class includes 12 Open Studio hours and additional studio time may be purchased for $10/hour for enrolled students.
IMPORTANT: ALL STUDENTS MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED TO ENROLL
Please CLICK HERE to read our current COVID-19 Protocols and Policies. Registration for class signifies agreement and compliance with these policies.
Other Important Facility Information:
- Our facility is wheelchair accessible via a ramp entrance at the Gallery.
- During daytime classes, please park across the parking lot and not directly in front of the building.
- Enter the teaching center through the double gray doors to the left of our gallery entrance.
- Report any problems or concerns immediately to your instructor or to a member of The Village Potters.
- Public Bathrooms are to be used and located down the hall from the classroom. Follow signs.
- No cell phone use in class unless you are taking pictures of pots.
- Only students enrolled in classes may sign up for the open studio time.
- Ask before you use use a piece of equipment that you aren’t familiar with.
- No smoking in or outside of The Village Potters.
- Because of space and liability issues, guests are not allowed in the Teaching Center during classes or Open Studio.
- Open Studio access must be signed up for in advance using the online calendar link via Calendly. Your instructor will share that sign up link with you.
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the start of class, students receive a full refund (minus a $50 administrative fee).
- Cancellation within 29-0 days of the start of class, students receive no refund.