In Person Class: Exploring Clay using Construction and Slabs with Sarah Wells Rolland
Sats: Nov 6, 15, 20 and Dec 4, 11, 18 2021
Time: 8:00 am- 11 am EST
Class includes 18 hours of Open Studio time
This class is for clay and morning lovers! Hand building and Slab construction is a wonderful process and one every potter can develop into their body of work. Slabs opens the world to pots that cannot be created on the wheel. In this class we will explore forms that require us to use slump molds. We will explore multiple ways to make your own slump molds and templates. How to prepare perfect slabs and make pieces with excellence. Multiple approaches to rims, foot rims, feet and texture. When the six weeks are up you will have many new techniques in your tool chest.
This class includes all materials:
- First 25 lbs. of clay
- Use of many sizes and shapes of slump molds
- Underglaze and slips
- Wax for resist
- Glazes and Firings
***Some experience with clay is preferable but not necessary.
“This class is offered for clay lovers who want to expand their skill is hand building with me in the joy of the morning. I will have the coffee/tea station ready for us. I love the morning.” Sarah
We will meet each Sat at 8:00 am on Nov 6, 15, 20, we will break for Thanksgiving, and return for our last 3 classes in Dec 4, 11 and 18.
I hope you can join me as we explore new areas of clay together!
“Seagrapes 1 and 2” Soft Slab Construction
IMPORTANT: TO INSURE SAFETY OF ALL STUDENTS EVERYONE MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED AND PRESENT A VACCINATION CARD TO ATTEND AT THIS TIME.
Please CLICK HERE to read our current COVID-19 Protocols and Policies. Your registration for class signifies agreement and compliance with these policies.
Other Important Facility Information:
- Our facility is wheelchair accessible via a ramp entrance at the Gallery.
- During daytime classes, please park across the parking lot and not directly in front of the building.
- Enter the teaching center through the double gray doors to the left of our gallery entrance.
- Report any problems or concerns immediately to your instructor or to a member of The Village Potters.
- Public Bathrooms are to be used and located down the hall from the classroom. Follow signs.
- No cell phone use in class unless you are taking pictures of pots.
- Only students enrolled in classes may sign up for the open studio time.
- Ask before you use use a piece of equipment that you aren’t familiar with.
- No smoking in or outside of The Village Potters.
- Because of space and liability issues, guests are not allowed in the Teaching Center during classes or Open Studio.
- Open Studio access must be signed up for in advance using the online calendar link via Calendly. Your instructor will share that sign up link with you.
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the start of class, students receive a full refund (minus a $50 administrative fee).
- Cancellation within 29-0 days of the start of class, students receive no refund.