This fun and challenging eight week construction/hand building class with Karen Dubois is designed to explore projects where you create parts and pieces and then put them together with your own flair. Karen’s eye for detail, method of teaching and her infectious sense of humor will undoubtably ensure you learn and laugh a lot.
Karen will challenge you with parameters like functionality (teapots), size (12″ tall), and surface where you will create your own texture tools that often become a signature part in your work. If you want to learn, hone skills and explore “what if’s” then this is the class for you, and each Parts and Pieces class offers different projects from the last.
You will have the opportunity to fire your pieces to cone 6 oxidation using glazes, underglazes and oxides. This class includes your first 25 lbs of clay, underglazes and glazes, and all the firings.
You must read, understand, and be willing to abide by the safety guidelines listed below to register for this class.
*Last day of class is an 1-hour longer than previous classes due to more time needed for glazing your work. (9am-12:30pm)
Please CLICK HERE to read our current Teaching Center Policies & Procedures. Registration for class signifies agreement and compliance with these policies.
Skill Level 201
View our full SKILL LEVEL GUIDE FOR CLASSES.
TYPE OF STUDENT:
This class is designed for students growing in confidence working with larger and/or more complex forms who wish to become more intentional with their work.
EXISTING SKILLS SET RECOMMENDED FOR STUDENTS:
In order to be successful in this class, students should be familiar with basic clay construction techniques and ready for more complex methods that include multiple ways to approach working with slabs, molds and clay additions. Students should also be familiar with various techniques for glaze application.
Other Important Facility Information:
- Our facility is wheelchair accessible via a ramp entrance at the Gallery.
- During daytime classes, please park across the parking lot and not directly in front of the building.
- Enter the teaching center through the double gray doors to the left of our gallery entrance.
- Report any problems or concerns immediately to your instructor or to a member of The Village Potters.
- Public Bathrooms are to be used and located down the hall from the classroom. Follow signs.
- No cell phone use in class unless you are taking pictures of pots.
- Only students enrolled in classes may sign up for the open studio time.
- Ask before you use use a piece of equipment that you aren’t familiar with.
- No smoking in or outside of The Village Potters.
- Because of space and liability issues, guests are not allowed in the Teaching Center during classes or Open Studio.
- Open Studio access must be signed up for in advance using the online calendar link via Calendly. Your instructor will share that sign up link with you.
- Cancellation up to 30 days prior to the start of class, students receive a full refund (minus a $50 administrative fee).
- Cancellation within 29-0 days of the start of class, students receive no refund.